Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Spring Rolls with Sweet and Spicy Thai Sauce


I have made these over and over, tweaking the recipe until it tasted just right. Here is my most updated version of Spring Rolls. This is much easier than how I originally made them, and just as tasty! This recipe yields about 18 spring rolls.

Ingredients for Spring Roll Wrapper:
1 cup flour
1 1/4 cup water
1 tsp salt

Instructions:
Whisk ingredients together until most of the lumps are out of the batter. I use a lightly greased nonstick skillet so I can cook 3 wrappers at once. I set the temperature for 150 degrees, the lowest possible temperature. Scoop about 1-1/2 tablespoons of the batter onto the skillet, and very quickly use the back of the spoon to spread out the batter as much as you can in an oval shape. The edges will start to curl up slightly when it's ready to be flipped. Cook for only about 15-30 seconds on the second side.

Ingredients for Spring Roll Filling:
1/4 head cabbage
2 carrots
1 tablespoon minced yellow onion
2-3 stalks green onion, chopped
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2  tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp ginger
3/4 tbsp soy sauce

Instructions:
In a food processor, shred the cabbage, carrots, and yellow onions. I suppose you could do this by hand, but it would take forever. The food processor really ensures that they will be shredded very finely.

Put the shredded vegetables in a large skillet and cook on medium high. Add the remaining ingredients and let it cook together for about 15 minutes or until everything has completely cooked through.

Putting it All Together:
Simply lay out a spring roll wrapper and put a spoonful of filling towards one end of the oval. Roll it like a burrito. Tuck in two of the ends, then roll. I make a paste of equal parts water and flour to seal the end of the roll. Continue with the rest of the spring rolls.

Deep fry the rolls for about 5 minutes or until they reach desired crispiness.

I like to dip them into a sweet and spicy Thai dipping sauce. I fiddled around with a recipe quite a bit until I got it how I liked it.

Ingredients for Sweet and Spicy Thai Sauce:
If you don't like spicy foods, definitely cut back on the red pepper flakes. This is about as much spice as I can tolerate.
1 tbsp rice vinegar (you can use white vinegar if that's all you have)
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp ketchup
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp corn starch
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp ginger

Instructions:
Just add all the ingredients together in a small saucepan. Stir together then bring to a boil. It should thicken pretty quickly after coming to a boil. Remove from heat and let it cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment